Have you ever forgotten to take something out for dinner? Come on, I know you have! Today was totally that way for me. We went to church, then had lunch out. Drove around for a bit and then…suddenly, it hit me. I had NO IDEA what we were going to have for dinner. My brain zoomed through what I thought I had in the pantry and fridge. I was planning on making a dessert that would be an S, so I knew that whatever I made needed to match so I could have both before bedtime. I knew I could throw something together, it just might not be that great of a meal. Except, it actually was pretty great! So I just HAVE to share it with you!
I plundered in the fridge and found that I had a package of Butterball Turkey Sausage Polska Kielbasa that I could use as our protein. I always keep 1/3 less fat cream cheese, half and half, almond milk, and parmesan on hand…sounds like Alfredo to me! I wasn’t sure how sausage was going to taste in an Alfredo, but it was surprisingly delicious!! Since we are focusing on healthy fats and minimal carbs, this meal falls into the S category.
I like to layer meals like this for my family because my hubby will only eat a small amount of veggies where I can eat an entire bag of steamed broccoli by myself. And my kiddo would prefer nothing green to ever make an appearance on his plate. To keep us all happy, I have found that if I layer it we have more control over what goes on who’s plate. I layered hubby’s place with more pasta and very little broccoli then topped it with the Alfredo sauce. The kid got pasta and Alfredo sauce. I had a heaping serving of broccoli, about half a cup of pasta, and Alfredo sauce. You can get creative and switch out the veggies for another that you prefer. Or you can leave out the pasta and serve over Zoodles. If you want to stretch it, add more broccoli or pasta for your growing kiddos and hubby. You can even add more almond milk, half and half, and cream cheese to make more sauce. Here’s the recipe, make it your own!
Sausage & Broccoli Alfredo
- 13 oz Turkey Sausage Polska Kielbasa I used Butterball
- 1 cup Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 1 cup Half & Half
- 12 oz 1/3 Less Fat Cream Cheese
- 1/2 cup Grated Parmesan The green can kind is fine!
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Dried Parsley Flakes
- 1 tsp Salt (Optional) Use less if you don’t like salty foods.
- 1/2 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Creole Seasoning I used Tony Chachere’s Spice-N’-Herbs
- 1 bag Steamed Broccoli
- 2 cups Dreamfield’s Pasta (uncooked) Optional, you could also use Zoodles!
- Put a small pot of water on to boil. Cook Dreamfield’s Pasta according to the instructions on the box.
- Dice your sausage into small pieces and then sauté them in a large skillet. I like mine to have a little crisp brown edge.
- Pour in the almond milk and half and half over the sausage.
- Add the parmesan and cream cheese (breaking it into smaller pieces using your spoon).
- Sprinkle in the garlic powder, parsley, salt, pepper, and Creole Seasoning.
- Let it simmer until the cream cheese has dissolved into the sauce. Stir frequently. It will seem runny at first, but if you keep simmering, it will thicken up.
- While your sauce is thickening, steam a bag of broccoli. I just used the microwave kind.
- Once your sauce has thickened to your liking, remove from the heat and serve over broccoli and 1/2 – 1 cup of Dreamfield’s Pasta or Zoodles.
I hope you enjoy this meal as much as we did! My picky kid scarfed his plate down, but of course, he didn’t have any broccoli…